Senior League 1B (Round 3)


August 21 2021

Mayo Senior Football League Division 1B

Ballintubber 0-11 Breaffy 1-10


A late smash-and-grab handed Breaffy both points in our latest battle with our local rivals in the Mayo Senior Football League.


Despite leading by five points at one stage in the second half, we conceded four unanswered scores in the final 15 minutes, all from the boot of Breaffy’s Colm Flynn


With the game nearly up, we still lead by a single score and just had to hold on for a few moments to claim both points.


However, Breaffy snatched victory when Mayo panellist Conor O’Shea sent a ball into Patrick Bourke who buried the winner with an excellent finish.


Enda Gilvarry’s men were undoubtedly sickened to have lost to their local rivals in such a manner, particularly given that they saw two clear-cut goal chances come flying off the woodwork.


Indeed, despite not finishing strongly, we had done enough throughout the game to come out of it with both points.


Corner-forward Ciaran Gavin might have had the ball in the net in the seventh minute, but his shot rattled the underside of the crossbar before Breaffy cleared the danger.


Likewise, Noel Geraghty was desperately unlucky to hit the bottom of the post with a shot that could have given us a six-point lead mid-way through the second half.

Played in front of a large and vocal set of supporters, this had the feel of a proper local derby.


Neither side stood back from each other in a half in which we prevailed 0-7 0-3 thanks to scores from Stephen O’Malley (0-2, 1f) Ciaran Gavin (0-2), Gary Loftus, Noel Geraghty and Keelan McDonnell (0-1 each)


Brian Murphy was back to his very best at full-back, giving Breaffy full-forward Colm Flynn a torrid time of it.


Stephen O’Malley, Ciaran Gavin and Noel Geraghty all stood out up front, with O’Malley kicking one outrageous point from way out on the right-hand side in the second half.


The introduction of Conor O’Shea at half-time gave a boost for Breaffy against a Ballintubber side with no county players on display.


While O’Shea did not win the game single-handedly, his presence around the middle was certainly influential.


Our opponents moved up a gear somewhat in the second half, but we kept them at arm’s length and eventually stretched our lead to five points shortly after the water break.


Thereafter, our opponents began discretely chipping away at our lead, with four scores from Colm Flynn going unanswered – including one brilliant effort from out on the right-hand side.


However, with a point to spare, we looked as if we would hang on with only a minute left.

However, the youngest of the O’Shea brothers found fellow substitute Patrick Bourke in space, who sealed our fate with a well-taken finish.


Ballintubber team that lined out: Brendan Walsh; Gary Loftus (0-1), Brian Murphy, Finian Bourke; Myles Kelly, Damien Coleman, Jack Walsh; Joe Geraghty, Jason Gibbons; Hugh Geraghty, Noel Geraghty (0-2), Keelan McDonnell (0-2); Ciaran Gavin (0-2), Stephen O’Malley (0-4, 1f), Alan Plunkett


Substitutions: David McHale for Finian Bourke (2nd half water-break), Gavin Roache for Gary Loftus (52 min), Robbie Finnerty for Alan Plunkett (55 min), Aaron Lally for Keelan McDonnell (60 min)


Referee: Garryowen McMahon

Share this post...
Previous post Next Post